Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Not Just One Type

Long delay from when I actually planned on blogging about SPOP, but nonetheless, this will be the first, of hopefully many more posts

So the interview process has already begun for this summer’s SPOP. With a record breaking 600+ applications submitted, and only 130 spots to fill, the competition is intense. After conducting a good handful of interviews, you tend to hear a lot of the same answers and tend to repeat your own stories a good dozen times. But when you hear those answers, those ones that show so much depth/personality/history/insight into someone, you are encouraged to believe that there are great individuals out there. Ones that just make you want to see them grow and prosper in this program.

I was talking to my fellow coord, D.Phuong, earlier tonight about the applicants that we really liked. It made me really understand why not everyone on staff is the same person. I always believed that everyone on staff is different and not everyone fits the stereotype of being this loud and crazy staffer that is always on high energy. But when I am actually instrumental in picking how the staff is made up and when I see myself giving “Yes” to two people, who are completely different and have completely different energies & vibes, it’s so obvious that this staff will be a huge spectrum of people. All who can bring great things to the table. All who can be great role models to incoming staffers. All who will be instrumental in making SPOP function this summer.

I can’t wait until the first day of training, when I get to see everyone’s faces; not as applicants, but as staffers.

SPOP 2010 staff, whoever of you it maybe, know that we, the coords, can’t wait to meet you!

2 comments:

  1. YES! the moment when we all meet. WOW

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHHH I'm tearing up think that this is going to actually happen one day. That their stories in their interviews are going to become tangible...that one day they'll be the ones answering the "what was your favorite memory from being a staffer" questions, and growing immensely from that interview where we met them. I'm probably going to cry during the first training. Actually, I'm probably going to cry during most of the trainings. Fuck.

    ReplyDelete